In 1946, the first year after War II stopped, local school trustees were prescient of the oncoming wave of post-war babies: 10 million baby boomers were born between 1947 and 1966. In March of 1946, a motion by M.M. McAlpine and seconded by C.C. Davidson asked “county council to dissolve the High School District of the Municipality of Glencoe in order to make way for the formation of a larger High School District to include all or parts of Metcale, Ekfrid, Mosa, Wardsville, Newbury, Caradoc”.
Dr. Mumford was the local denstist. Mr. Gerber was a building contractor who represented the Roman Catholic ratepayers. Mr. Davidson was the jewelry merchant. R. Lethbridge was a farmer in Mosa, McAlpine an insurance agent and Dr. Lockwood practiced medicine.
The planning began and on April 4, 1952, the high schools of Bothwell, Glencoe, Melbourne, and Wardsville started transitioning to the newly built Glencoe District High School located centrally in Glencoe.
Strong economic growth in the 1950s and 1960s, and increasing demand for schooling, led to rapid increase in spending on schooling between 1950 and 1970. Investment focused on school construction and hiring teachers. With increased demand, teacher wages rose considerably. Schools and teachers were given more autonomy over what to teach, and the inspection functions of provincial ministries were delimited or eliminated. At the same time, provinces were taking increasing financial responsibility for schooling. In 1950, localities paid 64% of the costs compared to 36% from the provinces, and by 1970 the ratio had largely reversed. Provinces paid 60% and localities 40%. By 1997, eight out of the ten provinces had taken total responsibility for funding.
Sources: A History of Glencoe Area High Schools, and an OECD paper, “Strong Performers And Successful Reformers In Education: Lessons From Pisa For The United States”, 2010.